2008年10月18日 星期六

Prop.8---From a kid's eyes

Last night, when we were on our way to the church, Hee asked : "What are we going to do When we wake up after we sleep tonight( In his words, he said: 我們再睡一個覺起來要去哪裡?)? " He meant "what classes am I going tomorrow"? He asks the same question every day, and I have the same answer to him every day: YMCA, Mrs. Lee (his preschool), YMCA, Mrs. Lee, YMCA & AWANA, no class, Sunday School (Jojo 的媽媽); however, last night, I added something new: "we are going to go for a rally before we go to the church on Sunday".

"Rally? What is it? What is it for?" I explained to them that it's a meeting and parade in Memorial Park this Sunday from 3-5pm to support Prop.8 and to support the marriage between one man and one woman. I then asked Ha: "What do you think about marriage? Do you like the idea that 2 men or 2 women get married?" He said no right away because "it's strange", he said. Then, I asked him how he thinks that God prefers, and he told me that God should prefer a man and a woman to get married, too.

Before this conversation, I never told them anything about same sex marriage, so the above conversation was coming from his own judgement. He didn't think about Christianity, what the Bible says, or equal rights that the same sex marriage supporters claim, but he just chose the family structure that is most comfortable to him, and I believe that it's the most comfortable family structure to most kids, too.

When we were in the church, he saw a board writing "Yes on Prop.8". He couldn't read "Prop.", so he said "what is yes on 8?" I told him that it asked us to vote Yes on Prop.8 which supports the marriage between a man and a woman. Then, he urged me to vote Yes on it, and I told him that I have already voted by mail. Have you voted?????

1 則留言: