2010年5月19日 星期三

Middle Name, Last Name

Hee was calling himself Heehee Huang yesterday when he's playing, and I thought that this name was so cute. He knew that Heehee is his nickname, so he never told people that he's Heehee when he's at school, but he likes this name. I told him that when he was born, we only gave him his first name, and his last name was fixed because he was born in our family; however, when he grows old enough, if he really likes some other names, he can use that as his middle name, or, he may put Heehee as his middle name if he still really likes it when he grow up. Middle name is his own choice.

Then, he's curious about my middle name "Sun".

"Do you really like to be the Sun?" he asked.
Well, Sun is my middle name because before I married to Stephen, my last name was Sun. After I changed my last name to Huang, I chose Sun as my middle name.

" Do I need to change my last name, too if I get married?" he asked another question. "No, only girls need to do so."

"Why?" Why? I never thought about that, so I began to think. "I guessed that it's because in the Bible, God said that the husband is the head of the wife. Husband needs to love his wife, and wife needs to submit to her husband, and changing the last name may represent the submission"

"So, you need to listen to Daddy?" "Yes, I do."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually, when I determined to change my last name, I didn't really think about what God says in the Bible; instead, a conversation with my client helped me to make my decision. At that time, I was auditing her organization, and I told her that I was going to get married soon. She told me that she has a happy family, but she didn't want to go through the trouble of changing her last name, so her kids sometimes got the questions at school like: "Did your Daddy and Mommy divorce?" "Why did your Mommy and you have different last name?".... Therefore, she encouraged me to change my last name for the kids' sake.

It really was not an easy thing to change the last name because it involved Social security agency, DMV, passport, other license, credit cards, bank accounts....., but I think that it worths the trouble. Now, we are all in "Huang" family. If I went through all these trouble to change my last name, I'd better put in my effort to strengthen my marriage because it would be a big headache to change it again. In the way, it is a sign of submission, isn't it? It meant that I took off what I had and went with what you have, so we are in a unity. Actually, this was originated from Chinese culture. My 外祖婆婆was 任成氏,my 祖奶奶was 孫鄒氏, and we don't even know their true name.

I never thought so deep about the last name until now. It surely is an interesting discovery.

4 則留言:

Pko2003 提到...

你真是有才德的好婦女啊!那麼認真順服。

我那時結婚時因為快要拿到加拿大公民,所以不想改名。等到美國,發現改名還得回加拿大跟台灣改所有證件的名子,實在麻煩,加上我老公根本對改名這件事不在乎(個人覺得他是不想花錢跟花時間陪我跑政府機關)。

Happy Family 提到...

其實我老公也從來沒跟我提,只是我自己想換而已, 不過的確有點麻煩。

羊爸比 提到...

Interesting. Never thought that different last names can make other people think the couples are divorced. So I guess having the same last name can be a good witness, too.

You're a good wife example ^^

Happy Family 提到...

Actually, I never thought of that before I talked to the client, either. But after the talk, I decided to go through the trouble early in order to eliminate the trouble to my kids later on.